Monday, August 4, 2008

Earthquake

Mother's remaining pieces of china. The bowl is from aunt Amy's china pattern and the lid is from mother's.

The few remaining pieces of Aunt Amy's Bavarian china.

Our recent earthquake was immediately designated a 5.6, quickly upgraded to 5.8 but finally came in at a modest 5.4. My multi-story office building in Orange Co did quite a bit of shaking, creaking and groaning but there was no damage - unless you count a few frayed nerves. I called home immediately - or rather tried to because all phones, even cell phones, were out for quite a while. I wanted to make sure DH was fine and wondered how my mother's and aunt's few surving pieces of china had fared. Mother had a service for 12 of Hertel Jacob Bavarian china and her sister had Green Leaves Bavarian china. They bought it at the same time and lost almost all of the pieces at the same time in the 6.6 Sylmar quake of 1971. Mother had enough pieces to give me a complete service for 1 and the lid to her serving bowl. Aunt Amy also gave me a complete service for 1 and her serving bowl which had lost its lid. Though the lid and bowl are no longer a match, they look okay together and that's how I use them. Every so often DH and I use the dishes and they mean so much to me because of all the family history associated with them.

The networks covered our minor quake extensively and I remember one woman saying everything shook for five (5!) minutes - nope, more like 30 seconds which actually is quite a long time earthquake-wise. Have you ever experienced earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes?

I should add that we were living in Washington state at the time of the '71 quake. My sister, who didn't live too far from our parents, said everything in her kitchen fell out of the cupboards. One of the few items not broken was a gift bottle of alcohol and though she didn't drink, that day she said she did.

5 comments:

Mom said...

I grew up in Southern California so earthquakes were part of my life. I always thought they were just a momentary excitement. I never was afraid.
We live far enough inland now that the hurricanes only bring lots of wind and rain and cause flooding in lower areas.

Shammickite said...

I'm glad that your precious dishes survived. Your mother must have been so upset when so much of her dinner service was smashed in the '71 earthquake.
I've experienced a couple of minor earthquakes here in Toronto, but it's absolutely nothing compared to what you have in California. Just a barely discernible swaying and momentary dizziness.
They keep talking about "the big one" that's coming when California falls into the Pacific Ocean, well, perhaps you better move further inland just to be on the safe side!

Amy said...

Although I don't remember the '71, as I was only two years old at the time, the story handed down was that my mother was so upset because all of her coffee cups were broken and she could not have her morning cup of coffee!

rosemary said...

been there done that....picked up pieces of special glass/crystal/china and other valuables. i hated earthquakes...no warning and no where to hide. even tho we have horrible weather here for a few seasons there are warnings usually....well except for the 12 feet of snow and where to put it. sure wish your handyman/painter was closer.....he would make lots of $$$ here fixing and re-doing.

Shammickite said...

I keep checking in but the dishes are still on the shelf.... so hope all is OK!