Saturday, June 14, 2008

That Was The Week That Was!

What a week this has been. After learning on Monday that she no longer had a job, DD was told to pick up her final check Tuesday. She was distraught so I said I would take Tuesday off to drive her there and suggested she ask for a letter of recommendation and also if they would consider rehiring her at some point. I knew they thought well of her and had spent a lot of time and money training her - if the accident had happened after her probation period it wouldn't have been a problem. I also thought that giving her a "talking point" would keep her steady.

Tuesday morning I picked her up, her eyes swollen from crying but chin up and ready to face the music. A friend spent most of Monday evening with her because she said she had been in "code red." She realized she had come too far to slip but it did cross her mind.

At the yard I waited in the car while she went inside. After about 30 minutes she came out and said we needed to go back to her place for the badge and uniform. She then told me what had gone on inside. Bottom line, they didn't want to lose her but had no choice. Her supervisor had wanted to extend her probation a month instead of letting her go but rules are rules. He said that they had reviewed the tape after the accident and watched every rider on the bus give her a hug as they got off. Undercover riders had been on her bus many times and had all written glowing reports on how she handled the bus and passengers. She was then told she was the type of employee they wanted and asked her to reapply in about seven months and they would rehire her. Her supervisor had already made a call to a possible new employer for her and asked DD to go there and pick up an application.

When we went back to the bus yard with her badge and uniform, she brought her supervisor out to meet me. Awkward but nice. He said he wants her back and I stumbled through something. The rest of the day was spent running errands - she needed a DMV printout, we went to the bank to deposit her final check, she picked up an application, did some grocery shopping and we ended the day by having a late lunch. It was a long day and I was exhausted.

Today is the first day we haven't been over to see her. She still feels sad about what happened but is keeping herself busy looking for a new job. Knowing how much they wanted to keep her I wish they could have but......what's that expression? If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. DD is resilient and will get through this but I'm a little slower and haven't even been able to turn the computer on until now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your good thoughts, prayers and well wishes for DD.

6 comments:

Mom said...

It is good to have you back.
Sounds like this has been a hard week, but it also sounds like all of you will survive.
Hang in there.

TorAa said...

I don't know what to say.
You refere to a Norwegian saying. The fact is: She could not have been fired in Norway due to the circumstances posted before.
May be the Police Officer would have been suspended instead. The Police officers are not at all free from mistakes - many do take the Law in their own hand and accuses others for mistakes made by themselfs. In fact, this happens in most countries.

I wish her the very best

btw. We are on the road to recover. Sooner or later we will be back on track

rosemary said...

just lots of hugs and kisses.....

Mom said...

Do hope you are ok.

Shammickite said...

I've just returned from 3 weeks vacation in beautiful England, and I'm catching up on blogs. I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's clash with the sherrif's car and the sad results, what a shame, just when she was doing so well in her new job.
But they want her back so that's a positive thought, and she has to keep that in mind. But what a disappointment.
BTW her new hairdo is lovely, I wish I had nice hair like that, instead of a head full of copper wire!!

Sandy said...

Mom - thanks for your support. Somehow we do get through these things!

Toraa - husband agrees officer was at fault but while our daughter was on probation she couldn't have an accident. Maybe we should move to Norway - I can speak a little Norwegian.

Rosemary - lordy, sometimes I wonder how we all survive!

Ms. Shamnmy - she was told to reapply in January and she's counting the days. And I've seen your pictures - copper wire indeed! Your hair is lovely.